Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Big Dark (by Rodman Philbrick)


Publication Date: January 2016
 


SYNOPSIS: What would you do if every spark of electricity suddenly vanished, as if somebody had flipped a switch on the entire planet? Cars won't start, the heat shuts off, there's no water in your faucet, and your radio, TV, and flashlight go dark. Everyone in Charlie's small town is baffled. But as time passes, lawlessness erupts and takes an ugly turn. When the market and pharmacy are torched by an anti-Semitic arsonist, Charlie realizes his mother will die without her medicine. So he dons skis and heads off alone, seeking the nearest hospital. After traveling fifty miles through brutal ice and snow, Charlie encounters a burned-out, looted city of terrified citizens. Will he be able to save his mom?

THOUGHTS: This is Life as We Knew It for middle grade and from a very good author. Really interesting and accessible for the kids. I think most kids would really like it. There is talk of dead people and the main character sees some dead bodies but there really are not descriptions of it. I think it's in the 9-11 year old wheelhouse. There is not much a whole lot to scare the sensitive kids - although, in fairness, I guess the event in itself is scary, as it takes away security, as do the loonies with the guns. But as far as survival stories go, the action/scares are tame. I should also note that since I know next to nothing about science, I took the science in this book at face value. I have since seen some thoughts that the science in this story is skewed, which doesn't bother me much because I am not a scientist. And guess what? Most kids aren't scientists either. Have a willing suspension of disbelief, if you must, and have fun reading this quick read.

CARTWHEEL AWARD NOMINEE?: I think so. A good survival/adventure story is not easy to come by, especially one this simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment